It’s always a good time to resolve to eat better, be more active, and lose weight. For the more than 2 out of 3 Americans who are either overweight or obese, there’s now a free, research-based tool to help you reach your goals: the NIH Body Weight Planner.
- Eat smaller portions.
- Select a mix of colorful vegetables each day.
- Choose whole grains.
- Go easy on fats and oils.
- Stick with activities you enjoy.
- Go for a brisk walk, ride a bike, or do some gardening.
- Do strengthening activities. Lift canned food or books if you don’t have weights.
- If you’re short on time, get active for just 10 minutes, several times a day. Every little bit counts!
Build Healthy Habits
- Make a healthy shopping list and stick to it.
- Keep a food and physical activity diary to track your progress.
- Be realistic and aim for slow, modest weight loss.
To read the rest of this article, or to fully achieve your goals, click here.